POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
17 May 2024 23:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Rune
Date: 19 May 2000 08:29:39
Message: <392533b3@news.povray.org>
"Philippe Debar" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
> > I think the voters should be able to compare
> > the logos on the same basis.
>
> (All this mail is about personal preferences -
> I am not trying to impose my point of view,
> just explaining it. Read all this as IMHO)

Same here.

> I agree. But I'd prefer _guidelines_ to rules.
> If an entrant do not want to make his logo
> easily comparable, it would be his
> responsibility/decision. Hence he can not
> protest were he penalised for doing so. And I
> think voters are intelligent and educated
> enough to compare slightly different formats.

I'm afraid many voters will judge upon what they see.
I'm not sure they will judge upon what they *don't* see.

If a logo creator decides to present his logo in really fancy ways only, and
he doesn't present his logo in the limited formats, then I think some voters
will judge upon the fancy version only. They may give the logo a high score
because they like what they see, but that is not so good if the logo
actually wouldn't have looked nice in simple formats.

Therefore I think there should be some rules about in which formats the
logos should be submitted. To help the voters.

> > There might be more possible fuss/
> > protestations from the voters when they
> > can't compare the logos properly... ;-)
>
> So, they can express they protest when rating
> the offending logo(s).

I may not become popular by saying this, but I'm questioning the voters
ability to judge upon what they *don't* see. I'm not sure everybody will
think that far. Therefore I think we should make sure that the voters see
what they need to see.

> I suppose we do not want to see 50+ slight
> variations on the same logo.

I agree, but I wouldn't mind seeing 50+ completely different logos from the
same person.

> The author has to make decisions to get a
> reasonable ratio of logos/concept. If he
> wants help/advice from his peers, he can -
> eg in these groups, like TonyB - but the
> competition is not the place to get such
> advice.

I agree.

> I also think that a logo is much work.
> It is often better to spend his time
> furthering a low number of logo/concept to
> take them as far as one can then spending
> all his time brain-storming to get as many
> logo/concept as possible but perfecting
> none of them.

We can not say for sure that it isn't possible for one person to make a lot
of different logos that are all very good. Similar, there can also be a
person who makes one logo only, and it can still be a poor logo.

I think we should have some kind of limit, but the limit should be based on
quality, not on who has made the logo.

For example we could say that logos can only be submitted to the contest if
there's at least 3 persons who supports it. Logos that nobody will support
has no chance of winning anyway.

> I think a limit of 3 to 5 logo/author would
> be reasonable.

People are different. Some people might be able to make more than 5 good
logos.

If we follow my suggestion the amount of logos will be limited in a natural
and fair way.

> It should be (imho) the author
> responsibility to choose the best between
> his tries, as this is (imho) also part of
> the design process.

Here's an example: Person A makes 7 really good logos. Person B makes one
poor logo.

Why should some of the good logos be excluded in favor of the poor one?

> > There maybe should be some restrictions,
> > but they should not be based on who has
> > made the logos.
>
> I think a restriction on the total number
> of logos, independent of a number/author
> limit, can be a much worse creativity
> restriction (the more so if the firsts
> submitters each post numerous variations).

I did certainly not mean that the order of the submissions was the way to
make the restriction!

> I hope this clarifies my opinion and I'd
> be glad to further any explanation if
> necessary.

What do you think of my suggestion?

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,